Saturday, October 28, 2006

The leaves have fallen.

They lay strewn across my driveway, dancing to the rhythm of the northern winds that lead the way. The flower beds are wilted and soggy with rot. The contrast of a grey hill on the horizon and the frosty ground below leaves me waxing lustful for green. I curl my toes inside my soft sherpa boots and slide my hands into fleecy gloves. The last reminders of autumn are the shriveled pumpkins that lean pitifully against the bales of hay and brittle corn stalks.

This is the season in between dying and sleep.

I miss my friends.

An eternity
To reach my destination
Mapquest got it wrong

Upon arrival
Nervous and apprehensive
I soon felt at ease

Pumping beefy milk
Conversation and good wine
No guacamole

Setting the timer
Huddle together and smile
Are those boobies?

No power just wax
Warmth from my fourth glass
Freedom to be me

Sisters all along
Long awaited embraces
Laughing ‘till I choke

Can never go back
To the way it was before
Pieces of me gone

3 Comments:

Blogger jouettelove said...

LOVED that poem, and your words above about Fall, that was poetry in itself, you are such a beautiful writer. And you? Are so freaking beautiful on the outside too. I wish I could have been where you were with friends, it sounds like such an amazing, fulfilling, spiritual experience.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ah, the days of butter knives and too much alcohol. Back before we were "real" grown ups. And tonight? After a 16 hour shift, I chose a quiet empty house over a loud stupor of a Halloween party. I think we must appreciate the finer things more deeply now. Now that getting drunk and doing headstands isn't necessary once in a while... we do still live on the same planet, right?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Beautiful poem, and (((HUGS))) to you, my friend.

I want to echo what Jouette says, you are beautiful on the outside AND inside.

Thinking of you.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home