Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An October Surprise

has nothing do with political scandals or major league baseball ‘round these parts.



I spent three days in Tennessee sipping weak coffee and strong sweet tea, eating piles of barbecued pork that melted in my mouth as easily as the waitress’ sweet Southern twang draped itself over my ears, and looking out across the Smoky Mountains, wondering if this New England girl could ever fit within the confines of Southern expectations.


It wasn’t home. But it was real nice. And I mean reeyal nahhce. Nice enough to make me want to go back someday for a little more of that sugared-up hospitality and tasty, rib-sticking food.


But this is home.




Home Snowy Sweet Home.


2 Comments:

Blogger mama said...

I love those first fall snows. Looks maaahghty purty outside your window ma'am.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Been missing you and anxiously awaiting a new post. Unbelievable how much *more* snow you have than us city folk! We didn't get the ground cover where it actually looked white on the ground. Julia was very happy to see Big Jason at Dr. D's.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home