Thursday, March 01, 2007

Might as well slap a beginner bra

on her and drop her off at the mall. Because apparently 8½ isn’t too old for my irritable petulant cantankerous over-tired daughter to act like a 13 year old. Oh Child you age your Mama. Cry? Sob hysterically? Flail herself across the bed in a fit of despair? Sure, all in the day’s work of a pre-teen apparently. Good garlic could it possibly GET any worse? Yes it could….zits, horny boys, continuous text messaging, exaggerated sighs and eyeball rolls, walking at least ten steps away from me in order to avoid ANYbody even remotely suspecting we’re related and the long sullen nights spent cooped up in her bedroom sobbing to the schmaltzy bubblegum lyrics of…of…of…omgod. Who the hell will she be listening to? Justin? Usher? Nick Whatshisface? I really need to boost my hipster parent factor by watching MTV again.

I love that girl. She’s a 65 lb me in sparkly pink army fatigues. She’s the “who’s there” to my “knock knock.” She’s the same big sister I was to the same chubby brown-eyed baby brother. She’s the most stubborn and spirited human I’ve had the pleasure of loving.

Today was just one of those days that emphasized the tiny frown wrinkle that is developing between my eyebrows.

Ironically, as she lies asleep in her warm bed, I still miss her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Well, I'll tell you- D is going through some changes right now too. She's been SUPER moody, emotional, crying a lot..you name it. I feel bad for my DH to be honest with you- between putting up with my whacked up hormones to having to deal with a child who will go through puberty someday- Oyy!!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger lemony said...

...zits, horny boys, continuous text messaging, exaggerated sighs and eyeball rolls, walking at least ten steps away from me in order to avoid ANYbody even remotely suspecting we’re related and the long sullen nights spent cooped up in her bedroom sobbing to the schmaltzy bubblegum lyrics of…of…of…omgod.

Have you been lurking around the in the dark corners of my house? Because you just described my every day to a tee.

Oh, and the lyrics of choice are usually sung by The Fray and Snow Patrol with an occasional Evanescence thrown in...Lithium seems to be the song of choice these days.

The teen years. SO fun. Really. :-)

xoxo

2:09 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Thanks for checking out my page and for the compliment. I hope that you make it back to visit.

shane

3:45 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

zits, horny boys, continuous text messaging, exaggerated sighs and eyeball rolls, walking at least ten steps away from me

Oh lord. Is this what I'm in store for in a decade or so? Hopefully by then I'll have alzheimers.

5:44 PM  
Blogger ONEwayORanotherWAY said...

religious extremist=homeschoolers! LOL

that was too funny.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home