Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I tossed and turned in my sleep as

I relived election night two years prior. My heart was full with hope and my living room was full with dedicated MoveOn volunteers. We confidently clinked our glasses and quenched our thirst for a revolutionary change. My kitchen brimmed over with dishes of roasted rosemary chicken, bowls of homemade beef stew, bottles of good wine and dog-eared lists of potential voters. Although our sore feet were worn-out from plodding through dubious neighborhoods, we were still buoyant with optimism. I fell asleep rubbing my four month pregnant stomach, feeling as though I had made this world a better place.

I stumbled through the next morning in a thick haze of disbelief. I was still dreaming. I walked from room to room, not knowing where I should sit, where I should be. I felt as though I had suddenly lost my place in this world. There could be no explanation why 51% still didn’t appreciate the gravity of the election. After watching him rip the fabric of our nation to oily shreds, how could they not agonize and demand change? I momentarily questioned my purpose and determination. All this time, could it be that I was on the wrong side of the picket fence, throwing rocks at the good guy? With every tinge of my being, I knew that couldn’t possibly be.

I slumped over the toilet lid and sobbed tears of crushing despair.

That was two years ago.

Although the unadulterated evil of this administration has been wholly exposed within the past two years, I still crawled into bed last night with guarded expectations. I’ve learned to never underestimate the Machiavellian resourceful power of the religious right.

Apprehensively holding a cup of coffee in my left hand and the remote in my right, I tuned in to CNN this morning. The animated yelp that escaped from my mouth startled everybody in the room, including me. 227 to 194 in the House? A split Senate with the two remaining seats predicted to go Democrat? I want so badly to believe. I want to trust that people are finally demanding the change that 49% of us have been passionately roaring for.

This shift is best abridged by Gandalf in reference to Merry and Pippin arriving in Fangorn Forest: “Their coming was like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains.” Tom Delay stated it even more succinctly: “We took a whipping last night.”

Snap on your boards, pull down your goggles and let’s ride this avalanche of change.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

whoop-whoop!!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

These days I'm feeling very apathetic towards politics. I remember 2 years ago, myself. From feeling so hopeful to feeling crushed. I guess that's part of why I'm so apathetic...but I did vote. I'm a bit cautious about how I feel about this one.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Ar said...

I get totally P.O'd when I think about how much of the republican party holds christianity over the heads of voters, as if somehow you are going against the word of God if you dont vote in the "compassionate conservative" way. Blah Blah abortion and gay marriage, the two major platforms they shove down peoples throats (while on the side having same sex afairs and making their daughters have secret abortions) What about poverty, a main theme in the Bible as one of Jesus Christ's biggest plights or the environment God's greatest creation????? ARG it is insulting to everyone regardless of religous views.
PS: I love you 'nee for being such a smart and independant thinker xo

8:25 AM  
Blogger ©Jac said...

Heck, I was numb when they voted Bush in the first time.

I'm having a hard time remembering not to be sour about politics these last couple of days since I've been dismayed for so long. LOL!

7:38 AM  
Blogger jouettelove said...

I want so badly to believe. that's how I felt too-great post, sweetie.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home