Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Zero, My Hero

Take a glance at these lyrics see if you notice anything missing.

Music & Lyrics: Bob Dorough

(spoken)
Zero?

Yeah. Zero is a wonderful thing.
In fact, zero is my hero.
How can zero be a hero?
Well, there are all kinds of heroes, you know.
A man can get to be a hero for a famous battle he fought.
Or by studying very hard and becoming a weightless astronaut.
And then there are heroes of other sorts,
Like the heroes we know from watching sports.
But a hero doesn't have to be a grown up person, you know.
A hero can be a very big dog who comes to your rescue.
Or a very little boy who's smart enough to know what to do.
But let me tell you about my *favorite* hero…

Note the absence of references to female heroes. I often keep the satellite on SIRIUS kid stuff music channel, and I hear this song daily. The lyrics drive me bonkers and I find myself growing ever more frustrated with the artist each time I listen to it. Why must a hero be limited to a man, a boy, and man’s best friend? Why can’t a woman fight in a famous battle or study very hard? Why no mention of how smart little girls can be in troublesome situations? I have no problem with adhering to gender specific roles in certain situations. It’s all about what works most effectively for your family. But to be limited because I’m told it’s appropriate chaps my hide. This song is on a schoolhouse rock music cd and unfortunately there are thousands of little girls who hear this song and receive ambiguous information about what a hero can or can not be. According to this song, they need not apply. What about little boys? What do these lyrics teach them about little girls? How will this affect their sense of respect and equality towards the opposite sex?

My feathers aren’t usually ruffled with regards to gender detailed issues because I’m comfy with the approach I use to teach my own children what is and isn’t appropriate. But a hero? The definition of one is unlimited and the examples given in this particular song are extremely small-minded and partial. I don’t appreciate this artist’s presentation especially considering his impressionable young audience.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Hmmmm What does it say about me that I'm a chick and my username is MyHeroZero? haha

I am a Schoolhouse Rock fanatic. My favorite is Lolly, Lolly, Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here.

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home