Friday, February 17, 2006

Chick peas and tahini.

So I’m rummaging through the fridge for an after-school snack and I happen upon my brother-in-law’s leftover hummus.

Me: You want to try Uncle Gary’s hummus?

Girl: No. WAY. I don’t trust anything Uncle Gary eats.

I don’t blame her really. The pickled egg incident leaving her so recently traumatized and all.

Boy: What is it?

The boy is usually a more adventurous eater although he won’t touch spinach, ham, or shrimp for all the candy in the cupboard. The girl will, on occasion, buck up and try something new if a bribe of chocolate has been made.

Me: It’s a tasty dip.

Boy: Like ranch?

Me: Just like ranch.

Girl: Don’t do it.

The boy agrees to try it and steadies himself for a spoonful of the mealy auburn paste.

Boy: BLECCCHHHhhhhhhh! (hovering over the garbage can horking and spitting)

Girl: I told you.

Boy: It tastes like grass. (feverishly scraping his tongue)

Oh well. I suppose that’s just one more suppressed memory for him to bring up in therapy twenty years from now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Grass? What kind of hummus is that?

Mmm. Hummus. And it's noon here. Lunch!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Imzadi said...

My kids love hummus. But that's because I expose them to all sorts of food.

OMG! I'M KIDDING!!!

Well they do like hummus but then again they are weird like their Mumma.

1:22 PM  
Blogger lemony said...

She said Mumma. Somebody is spending too much time online with citrus fruit. ;)

I love hummus. I'll be there for lunch tomorrow...I'll bring the pita and the lattes.

xoxo

2:16 AM  
Blogger jouettelove said...

lol, that was cute. I love hummus, I get the big Costco tub, my older dds love it too, but not the little ones who can only say "eewww" about anything other than a flipping chicken nugget lately *eyeroll*

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home